17, 18 AND 20, THE SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078796

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: 17, 18 AND 20, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 17, 18 AND 20, THE SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078796 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:51:42.

Location

Statutory Address: 17, 18 AND 20, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Bibury

National Grid Reference: SP 11769 06617

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIBURY OFF THE SQUARE SP 1006-1106 (south side) 11/109 Nos 17, 18 and 20 23:1.52 GV II Row of 3 houses. Late C17. Random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roofs. Two-storey, part built over vehicle passage to rear yard. Front: lower part to left (Nos 17 and 18) has 3 half gables each with 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement with hoodmould; 2 doorways with timber lintels and plank doors alternate with three 3-light ground floor casements. Short length of parapet at south end of front conceals hipped roof to south end. Single ridge-mounted chimney. Higher part to right (No 20) has 4 half gables each with timber casement and timber lintel. Inverted stone cresting to junction between secondary ridge and main roof slope. Scattered fenestration to ground floor including doorway with timber lintel and plank door. Vehicle passage with timber lintel below left gable has casement to right inserted in former coach house doorway. Two ridge-mounted chimneys with plain caps. Rear: 4 half gables, 2 on each side of vehicle passage. Return wing at south end has gable-mounted chimney. Various single-storey outshuts. Interior not inspected. No 21 (q.v.) is attached at north end. (Illustrated in W.G. Davie and E.G. Dawber, Old Cottages ... in the Cotswold District, 1905)

Listing NGR: SP1176206606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 127357

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Davie, W G, Dawber, E G, Old Cottages Farmhouses and other Stone Buildings in the Cotswold District, (1905)

End of official listing