This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PIGEON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PIGEON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1078800

Location

THE PIGEON HOUSE, PACKHORSE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bibury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127364

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIBURY PACKHORSE LANE SP 1006-1106 (west side) 11/116 The Pigeon House 23.1.52 GV II* Detached house. Early C16; later C18 and C20 alterations. Random and coursed rubble limestone; ashlar chimney; stone slate roof. Cross passage plan; 2-storey. East front: 3 half gables to right part of elevation, each with timber casement; right gable is late C20 addition. Fenestration otherwise scattered including 2 and 3- light recessed chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds. Central doorway with C20 glazed door and flat stone porch hood on shaped brackets. Central ridge-mounted chimney has restored octagonal shaft with lancet openings and original crocketed spire top. C20 single-storey addition to left is not of special interest. Rear: 1 half gable with 2-light mullioned casement, 2- light below. Fenestration otherwise timber casements with timber lintels. Interior: large central chimney stack has C16 upper floor fireplace with projecting stone hood on shaped brackets. Single arched braced collar truss in roof, curved feet of rafters projecting below later inserted ceiling. Stands on ancient packhorse route and is one of the earliest buildings in Bibury with several original features. Dovecote (q.v.) stands to north. (Illustrated in J.A. Gibbs, A Cotswold Villager 1898. A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, p 21-44; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979

Listing NGR: SP1181206695

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gibbs, J A , A Cotswold Village, (1898)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 21-44
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 11777 06756

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078800 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2018 at 12:50:20.

End of official listing