HENDON HALL HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078856

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1950

Statutory Address: HENDON HALL HOTEL, ASHLEY LANE NW4

Map

Ordnance survey map of HENDON HALL HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 08:48:34.

Location

Statutory Address: HENDON HALL HOTEL, ASHLEY LANE NW4

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Barnet (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 23492 89891

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5004 ASHLEY LANE Hendon NW4 Hendon Hall Hotel TQ 2389 20/1 3.2.50

II

2. 1756-1759. Original building now embedded in modern accretions and with altered and modernised stable buildings. Main (E) front, 3 storey 6 window red brick with carved stone cornice and balustraded parapet with urns at the corners. The windows have wide moulded and carved stone surrounds. Door right of centre has Roman Doric door- case with columns, frieze and entablature (now protected by plain wooden porch). In front of the facade is an astonishing full height portico said to come from Canons via Wanstead from whence it would have been purchased after the 1822 sale and demolition. It consists of 4 great red brick columns with rusticated bands and stone Corinthian capitals supporting a carved stone entablature and pediment. The return of the entablature cuts slightly into the top floor window surround on the right. The south side on the garden has a central full height 3 window bow projection with 2 windows on either side, those next to the bow on the first floor being replaced by niches (now with statues). The window surrounds on this side are pedimented. The west front has a semi-hexagonal 3 window bay to right with pedimented first floor window, and 1-3 windows, with a Roman Doric garden doorway. To the north of the original house are large modern extensions with conservatory, etc. Interior: mostly altered for hotel use, but there is a good carved staircase with fluted balusters which are clustered to form the newels. The house belonged to David Garick 1756-1779.

Listing NGR: TQ2349289891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198808

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing