Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1078943

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951



Ordnance survey map of VANBRUGH CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 22:57:39.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 39308 77620


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 4412 MAZE HILL SE3 (East Side)

Vanbrugh Castle TQ 597T 27/G89 19.1O.51.


2. (RAF Boys' School) 1717 with later additions. Built by Sir John Vanbrugh for his own residence. Mainly of stock brick, later additions in plum coloured brick. The original building of 3 storeys and basement with 3 4-storey towers, the central one round, projecting from main west front. Arched corbel table below parapets of walls and towers. Angle towers battlemented. Conical copper roof to middle tower. Stout band at 2nd floor cills. Basement plinth. Gauged, round brick arches and impost blocks to sash windows with glazing bars and Y-bars in heads. Impost bands. from round tower windows. All upper tower windows square headed and blocked. Front round tower windows blocked on ground and lst floor. Recessed, 1-bay sections flanking it. Later square wood Doric porch, with wrought iron handrail to steps, in right tower angle. On North front 2 bays of original building on right and 2-storey, 2-window left extension, with tall, battered central chimney stack. Rear elevation has central round tower in projecting section. Flanking round chimneys in rows. 1-bay side wings of 2 storeys and basement. Projecting bowed late C18 right wing has Venetian window in 1-storey end. Later C18 3-storey, 3-bay East addition. Projecting centre bay has central window and narrow flanking window on each floor, those on 1st and ground floor round headed, giving Venetian effect. Impost bands across centre bay, with gauged brick arches of side windows breaking tlem. Some original glazing, some restored. At South end projecting chimney tower bifurcates to flank 2 round arches. Modern, 2-storey 6-window south wing, built in similar style, projects westward, and another 4-window classroom extension added to this. Interior has few features of interest. 2 stone fireplaces in mediaeval style remain, one with late C17 Dutch tiles. Passages are very narrow, with interrupted segmental vaults. Plain stone newel staircase, some treads renewed. All doors round arched. Partly barrel-vaulted brick cellar. LCC blue plaque "Sir John Vanbrugh Architect and Dramatist designed this house and lived here c.1719-26."

Listing NGR: TQ3930877620


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 200455

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing