ROYAL ARSENAL THE GRAND STORE WEST AND SOUTH RANGES BUILDINGS 36 37 AND 46 ROYAL ARSENAL THE GRAND STORE, E RANGE (BUILDING 49)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1078958

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jul-1997

Statutory Address: ROYAL ARSENAL THE GRAND STORE WEST AND SOUTH RANGES BUILDINGS 36 37 AND 46, PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18

Statutory Address: ROYAL ARSENAL THE GRAND STORE, E RANGE (BUILDING 49), PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL ARSENAL THE GRAND STORE WEST AND SOUTH RANGES BUILDINGS 36 37 AND 46
ROYAL ARSENAL THE GRAND STORE, E RANGE (BUILDING 49)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078958 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 16:06:52.

Location

Statutory Address: ROYAL ARSENAL THE GRAND STORE WEST AND SOUTH RANGES BUILDINGS 36 37 AND 46, PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18

Statutory Address: ROYAL ARSENAL THE GRAND STORE, E RANGE (BUILDING 49), PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 44049 79312

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18 (North side)

786-/9/52 Royal Arsenal The Grand Store, W and S 08/06/73 ranges (Buildings 36, 37 and 46)

GV II*

Store, disused. 1808-13, attributed to James and Lewis Wyatt. Brick with Purbeck limestone dressings, timber internal construction, and late C20 corrugated sheet roof, originally slated. PLAN: Single-depth plan forming E range of 3-sided quadrangle. EXTERIOR: Late Georgian style. 2 storeys; 15-window range. Symmetrical front and rear elevations have projecting central pedimented 3-window section, vermiculated plinth, clasping pilasters with fluted capitals and a moulded eaves cornice. Centre has giant pilasters and a central round-arched doorway; rubbed brick heads to round-arched ground-floor recesses with matching windows and segmental-arched first-floor windows, to 12/8-pane sashes. 3-window ends, that to the N has a rusticated ashlar porch with round archways to large double panelled doors, the S end has a plain surround to first-floor double doors. Late C19 wall crane on the E side. INTERIOR not inspected, but reported to have timber posts with pillows and a queen post roof. HISTORICAL NOTE: Formerly connected to the S range (qv) by a carriageway, demolished 1888. Part of a much enlarged store for the Arsenal and a general depot for the Army and Navy, with now largely demolished quadrangles to E and W. Although conservative in eschewing current interest in fire-proof iron construction, and prone from early on to severe structural problems, the Grand Store is architecturally one of the most distinguished of the large late C18 and early C19 warehouses erected in both naval and civil docks.



Listing NGR: TQ4404979312

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 200493

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing