MAIN ENTRANCE TO ROYAL ARSENAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1079080
Date first listed:
08-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
MAIN ENTRANCE TO ROYAL ARSENAL, BERESFORD SQUARE SE18

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN ENTRANCE TO ROYAL ARSENAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 21:25:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAIN ENTRANCE TO ROYAL ARSENAL, BERESFORD SQUARE SE18

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Greenwich (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 43779 78963

Details

1. 4412 BERESFORD SQUARE SE18

Main entrance to Royal Arsenal TQ 4378 9/W44 TQ 4378 20/W44

II

2. (Royal Arsenal is listed under Plumstead Road). Dated 1829 but upper parts late C19. 2 storey, 3 windows, with blank side abutments. 3 carriage entrances on ground floor, the centre one taller. Yellow brick ground floor has stone arches with keystones supporting stone 1st floor band of taller centre section. This becomes cill band of side sections. Red brick upper part, with stone dressings. Buttresses full height of centre section, 1/3rd height of side sections. Parapet resting on stone and brick corbel table. Clock in centre. Central 3-light and side 2-light mullioned and transomed windows with sashes below transom and margin lights to heads. Plaques, inserted in buttresses, inscribed "1829 B;" and below side windows inscribed "G.R. IV" and bearing shield with 3 guns. On parapets of side abutments are mounted mortars with the Royal Cipher of George IV.

Listing NGR: TQ4377978963

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
200206
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/07718/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hussey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].