Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1079137

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950



Ordnance survey map of TRINITY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079137 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2019 at 10:30:33.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 33522 80803


TQ 3380 NE TRINITY SQUARE, EC3 (north side) 18/488 Trinity House



1793-6, by Samuel Wyatt; interior destroyed in 1940 and reconstructed in 1952-4 by A E Richardson. Portland stone; copper roof. Double-depth plan with central staircase. Neo-classical style. 2 storeys; 5-window range with slightly- projecting outer bays. Rusticated ground floor with central segmental-arched doorway flanked by semi-circular arched sashes with glazing bars and segmental arches over tripartite sashes with glazing bars in outer bays. First floor; paired unfluted Greek Ionic pilasters to outer bays, which have relief-carved panels of putti holding nautical emblems between pairs of lighthouses set over dentilled cornices and tripartite sashes with unfluted Greek Ionic columns and balustraded apron. Three recessed bays to centre, articulated by engaged unfluted Greek Ionic columns, have similar tripartite sash with columns flanked by 12-pane sash set in moulded architrave with cornice; arms of Trinity House flanked by portrait medallions of George III and Queen Charlotte. Simple block- ing to entablature; dentilled cornice. 5-bay left side elevation with semi- circular arched sashes to rusticated ground floor, and 12-pane first floor and 6-pane attic storey sashes set in square-headed architraves. Extension to right by A E Richardson, 1952-4 of brick with stone dressings over channelled stone rustication to ground floor; 5-bay range in similar style, with weathervane surmounting canted bay to right and 3-bay return to right side wall. Interior: finely-reconstructed interior, based on original drawings of Trinity House and County Life photographs of 1919. Stair hall to rear has wrought-iron balustrade with anthemion panels to staircase which divides at half-landing into two flights which sweep round semi-circular apse lit by clerestory; entries are flanked by columns of 'verde antico' scagliola with gilded Roman Doric capitals to ground floor and Ionic capitals to first floor, the latter surmounted by pairs of caryatids by Charles Wheeler. First-floor Court Room to front has coved ceiling and fine white marble fireplace with armolu ornament. To right of first floor is Banqueting Hall and Library by A E Richardson, with elliptical end bays and reset stained glass dating from C16. Subsidiary features; fore- court, enclosed by wrought-iron balustrade with tall lamp standards, is in Borough of Tower Hamlets. (A Oswald, 'Trinity House Restored', Country Life, 22.10.53 pp 1288-1291; The Builder, 23.4.54, pp 712-717).

Listing NGR: TQ3352280803


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 199786

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 22 October, (1953), 1288-1291
'The Builder' in 23 April, (1954), 712-17

End of official listing