This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SURREY STREET PUMPING STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SURREY STREET PUMPING STATION

List entry Number: 1079248

Location

SURREY STREET PUMPING STATION, SURREY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Croydon

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Apr-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 201300

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following item shall be added:

1. 5009 SURREY STREET

TQ 3265 1005-/9/10001 Surrey Street Pumping Station II

2. Pumping Station. Built in 4 phases. Earliest Engine House, 1851, by Cox, with further engine house of 1862 by Baldwin Latham, further extension of 1876-7 by Smith of South Norwood to house a compound horizontal engine and further extension of 1912. 1851 building is popularly supposed to be the converted and transported West Croydon atmospheric railway station's engine house of 1845. In fact it was the two Maudsley engines which were moved, though it is possible some of the quoins were re-used. Neo-Tudor style. Brown brick with stone quoins. Slate roof. 2 storeys over tall brick plinth - 5-lightstone oriel window on west gable wall with date plaques over. North front has 2 3-light windows on each floor with 4 centred heads and labels. Single dormer. Gable over left hand windows. To the north is the engine house of 1862 by C Baldwin Latham in castellated Gothic style. Built of stock brick with polychrome brown brick and stone dressings. 2 storeys over tall brick plinth with octagonal castellated tower at north end. This has pseudo-machicolations windows, and lancet . North front has 2 3-light windows, casements with leaded lights, on each floor with pointed heads, polychrome voussoirs and zigzag decoration in 3 colours of brick (yellow, red and black). Castellated parapet with pseudo- machicolations. Buttresses. Concrete door surround dated 1954. South addition of 1872 by J Walker, stock brick with stone dressings. 1 storey 5 windows. Recessed window bays with step up to door in North bay under gable. South face has gable with occulis and 2 lancets. West addition of 1912 in stock brick and red brick with slate roof. [See "Buildings of England: South London" p216 Aubrey Wilson "London Industrial Heritage" 1967 p117]

Listing NGR: TQ3220365379

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994)
Wilson, A, London Industrial Heritage, (1967), 117

National Grid Reference: TQ 32202 65384

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079248 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 02:36:24.

End of official listing