OLD PALACE SCHOOL (CROYDON PALACE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1079296

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1951

Statutory Address: OLD PALACE SCHOOL (CROYDON PALACE), OLD PALACE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD PALACE SCHOOL (CROYDON PALACE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 18:36:19.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD PALACE SCHOOL (CROYDON PALACE), OLD PALACE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Croydon (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31970 65392

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for OLD PALACE ROAD 2/46 Old Palace School (Croydon Palace) The previous listing date shall be amended to read 29.1.51

------------------------------------

1. 5009 OLD PALACE ROAD

Old Palace School (Croydon Palace) TQ 36 NW 2/46 20.5.54

I

2. Largely C15 and C16 group of buildings, formerly the palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury. C15 Great Hall ascribed to Archbishop Stafford (d 1452), with late C14 2 storey porch with vaulted ceiling to lower chamber. Hall interior has rich C16 timber roof with 2 tiers of collar beams with moulded arch-braces to lower collars; the braces rest on wall-shafts supported by fine heraldic corbels, later tie-bemas. Three-light stone mullioned windows with 4-centred heads, continuous moulded stone cill beneath windows on both sides. West of the Hall are the state appartments, which include the first floor "Guard Room", now the school library. The room is ascribed to Archbishop Arundel (1353-1414) and has a depressed arch-braced roof with plaster ceiling to shape and late C14 carved stone corbels supporting the principal collar-beams. Fine 4-light canted mullioned and transomed bay window, fireplace with damaged bolection-moulded surround and late C17 overmantel with segmental pediment signs of earlier overmantel beneath. Gallery at west with re-set Laudian altar rail, the room behind the gallery contains some exposed C16 or C17 panelling and an oak ceiling with elaborate roll-moulded joists. Two fine staircases of heavy early C17 type with balustrades and newel-posts with ball tops.

Chapel divided into 4 bays. Five windows a side with flat heads, and of 5 lights with 4-centred heads. Seven-light east window with a shallow triangular head. Depressed tie-beam roof with ribbed and panelled timber ceiling. Fixed stalls to walls with fine C17 bench-ends and panelling to walls continued across western portion of chapel openwork screen with double doors. Elaborate corner gallery with panelled front. Old stone font from a church in Southwark. The fine altar rails are now in the Guard Room. The exterior of the whole palace is of stone or C16 red brick, with early stone windows or Georgian sashes. The whole building is one of exceptional interest, both internally and externally and has many additional features of note. (VCH, Surrey; Lysons, "Environs of London").

Listing NGR: TQ3196465395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 201229

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lysons, D, Environs of London County of Surrey, (1792)
Lysons, D, Environs of London Supplement, (1811)
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1902)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

End of official listing