ST BERNARD'S HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1079364

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: ST BERNARD'S HOSPITAL, UXBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST BERNARD'S HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079364 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 08:19:22.

Location

Statutory Address: ST BERNARD'S HOSPITAL, UXBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Ealing (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 14628 79877

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UXBRIDGE ROAD 1. 5010 HANWELL TQ 18 SW 1/1 TQ 17 NW 4/1 St Bernard's Hospital II 2. Lunatic Asylum. 1829 by William Alderson. Additions and alterations of 1854 and 1857, the latter by John Harris,and further later C19 alterations.Yellow brick. Low slate roof to parapet. Basic 'U' shaped plan with octagonal pavilions to centre and ends,and wings extending to east and west from outer octagons. Northern ballroom extension from central octagon of 1854. South extension from central octagon of 1857 for kitchens, dining facilities, etc. Late C19 blocks attached as appendages to central and outer courtyards,of no interest. 2 storeys, attic and basement. Round headed windows to ground and first floors in round headed gauged brick reveals, mostly retaining original iron glazing bars with circular rotating opening lights. Stone band between ground and first floor and thicker stone band above first floor. Attic storey of 1857 with square headed architraved windows,many retaining original cast iron glazing bars with sliding opening lights. Stone cornice and parapet to attic. Octagons crowned with arcaded drums. Of historic interest for its innovations in psychiatric care, including a form of occupational therapy and the large scale abolition of mechanical restraints, under Superintendants Sir William Ellis and Dr John Conolly. Those parts of the hospital dating from after the 1850s are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: TQ1462879877

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 201101

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing