This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PUMP HOUSE AT KING GEORGE PUMPING STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PUMP HOUSE AT KING GEORGE PUMPING STATION

List entry Number: 1079456

Location

PUMP HOUSE AT KING GEORGE PUMPING STATION, SWAN AND PIKE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Enfield

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200827

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shallo be added:

SWAN AND PIKE LANE TQ 39 NE (east side) 21/287 Pump House at King George Pumping Station II GV Pump House. Opened 1913. Designed by William Booth Bryan for Metropolitan Water Board. English bond red brick with limestone dressings, set on blue brick plinth; hipped Welsh slate roof Edwardian Baroque style. 9 x 3 bay elevations. Corner turrets with moulded stone cornices and diamond latticed windows; stone cill band beneath turret windows continued as moulded stone string course beneath parapets of main elevations. 9-bay side elevations have tall windows with glazing bars set in semi-circular arched architraves, with moulded stone edge to each arch set on moulded imposts, divided by rusticated brick pilasters; cast-iron casements with glazing bars set in plinth beneath; wide raised pilasters flank narrow entrance bay, which has bracketed hipped gablet and diamond-latticed lights set above tall semi-circular architrave with glazing bars to window set in rusticated stone surround above panelled door. Glazed clerestorey lights to roof. 3-bay end eleva- tions have similar entrance bay with panelled double doors, flanked by narrow revealed bays with glazing-bar windows, set in rusticated stone semi-circular arched architrave above and square-headed architrave below. Interior: glazed white brick walls, with dado and cornice of green brick; large cast-iron gantry moves along top of cornices; cast-iron roof trusses. Gas bags, housed in 5 circular cast-iron casings, supplied gas to 5 'Humphrey' gas pumps, housed in deep brick-lined pits, of which two remain 'in situ'. Each cast-iron pump, built by Siemens Brothers Limited, acted through internal combustion to raise 40 million gallons of water from the Lea Navigation into the King George Reservoir each day. Each pit has 4 water admission valves, arranged in a ring casing around base of combustion chamber, the water then being compressed into a cast-iron play pipe via the Water Tower House (q.v.) and Inlet Pipes and Weir (q.v.) into the reservoir. The pumps, the invention of H A Humphrey, dispensed with the usual pistons, flywheels etc, and were provided with their momentum by the free movement or oscillation of water between pump and tower: they are the first example of their type in the world. (The Engineer, March 14, 1913, pp.269-275).

Listing NGR: TQ3728697892

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Engineer' in March 14, (1913), 269-275

National Grid Reference: TQ 37286 97892

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079456 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 02:32:16.

End of official listing