CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1079539
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Dec-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HERTFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079539.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:27:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HERTFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Enfield (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35193 97035

Details

ENFIELD

790/6/196 HERTFORD ROAD 19-MAR-51 ENFIELD HIGHWAY (East side) CHURCH OF ST JAMES (Formerly listed as: HERTFORD ROAD ENFIELD HIGHWAY CHURCH OF ST JAMES)

II

1831 by W C Lochner, chancel added in 1864. Chancel rebuilt and internal modifications in 1969 by J Barrington Baker and Partners following a fire in 1967.

MATERIALS: Nave and tower are stock brick, the chancel and vestries are roughly dressed coursed stone with stone dressings. Slate roofs. Interior plastered and painted.

PLAN: Chancel and nave the same width. Chancel with N and E vestries, un-aisled nave with W tower over the W bay of the nave.

EXTERIOR: The nave is tall and square, in a typical Commissioners' Gothic style. The embattled W tower, positioned over the W bay of the nave, has small polygonal corner buttresses that rise above the parapet to become small turrets with pointed caps. The W window has a rich ogee frame. The very tall nave walls are also embattled and have similar polygonal buttresses rising to tiny corner turrets. Two-light aisle windows with transoms in a vaguely Perp style. The chancel has a large 6-light Tudor-style S window. No E window, that from 1864 having been removed, presumably in 1969. The upper part of the E gable wall is rebuilt in brick. Small lean-to E vestry, possibly a relic of the older chancel. North vestry, now a parish room, in Early English style, a remnant of the 1864 work.

INTERIOR: The interior is plain, but spacious and light filled with very large windows. W bay of the nave is divided off to form an internal western narthex also providing access to the W gallery. Wide nave is undivided internally, with W gallery on cast iron columns. Gallery has wooden front with trefoil arched panelling. Doors with 4-centred heads to stairs and an internal window with Y tracery. The chancel arch and the flanking arches leading from the nave into N and S chancel chapels were removed in the 1969 rebuilding, leaving only small wall stubs. The arches from the chancel into the N and S chancel chapels were also removed, leaving the chancel the same width as the nave, the sanctuary differentiated only by two shallow steps. Nave roof C19 with very shallow 4-centred arched trusses with foiled spandrels and diamond panels along a ridge rib, but only the beams are now painted, and the decoration on the bed of the ceiling shown in early photos has been lost. Chancel ceiling has the same profile as that in the nave, although without the beams; another change of 1969 as the1864 chancel had a more steeply pitched roof.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Simple C19 benches and matching choir stalls in the nave. In the chancel, a bust of a woman on a stiff-leaf corbelled bracket, and above her an angel holding a book. Very rich octagonal C19 font with quatrefoil panels, angels supporting the bowl, and a very elaborate micro-architecture timber cover.

HISTORY: Built in 1830-1, architect William Lochner, in Commissioners Gothic style as a chapel of ease to the parish church of St Andrew in Enfield Town, which was by then very overcrowded. It became a perpetual curacy in 1834 serving a parish in the eastern part of Enfield. An Early English style chancel was added in 1864. N and S galleries were removed in the mid C20 (BoE says 1952) and after a fire in 1967, the chancel was wholly remodelled in 1969 by J Barrington-Baker and Partners.

SOURCES: Lambeth Palace Library ICBS File 1042 Baker, T F T and Pugh, R B eds, Victoria County History: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5 (1976), pp. 245-249 Cherry, B and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England London 4: North (1999), p. 437 Church website http://www.stjameschurch.cc/

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: St James', Enfield, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * A highly characteristic example of a Commissioners' Gothic church in brick, sympathetically renovated in the C20.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
200665
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15485/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].