GRANDSTAND AND TURNSTILES TO FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1079754
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
GRANDSTAND AND TURNSTILES TO FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB, STEVENAGE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079754.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Jul-2020 at 02:37:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRANDSTAND AND TURNSTILES TO FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB, STEVENAGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hammersmith and Fulham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 23650 76621

Details

TQ 2376 Stevenage Road (West Side)

9/45 Grandstand and turnstiles to Fulham Football Club GV II

Football club grandstand with turnstiles. Built in 1905 to the design of Archibald Leitch.

MATERIALS: Red brick façade with stone dressings; steel trussed roof (not visible from street)covered in corrugated iron.

PLAN: Long frontage to Stevenage Road with covered stand behind. 3 storey street frontage of 27 bays with single-storey attached turnstile blocks to the left and right of 9 and 8 bays respectively.

DESCRIPTION: Almost symmetrical composition with shaped gables to centre 3 bays and to bays 5 and 6 from either side. Arched windows to ground floor and paired exit doors beneath segmental arches; narrow square headed entrances at intervals. Square-headed mullioned windows in triplets to first floor with blind panels between bearing strapwork cartouches. Segmental-headed windows to third storey lighting stand to rear. Behind is a 2-tier stand with a pitched corrugated-iron roof carried on triangular steel trusses with curved lower chords. The front of the roof is cantilevered forward by means of a lateral lattice girder carrying an awning, supported on a series of lattice stanchions. The roof has a central triangular pediment. Upper tier of stand has original wooden seating; modern seating to lower tier. Tunnels lead to former changing rooms beneath.

HISTORY: Fulham FC was founded in 1879 and moved to its present site in 1896. Its popular name: 'Craven Cottage' alludes to an C18 cottage orné which once stood on the site.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as a well-preserved early surviving example of a football grandstand by Archibald Leitch (1866-1939), the foremost football stadium designer of the early C20. The façade is unusual in that it was a conscious attempt to give ornate treatment to a building type which was usually austere and functional.

SOURCES: English Heritage: Fulham Football Club, Historians' report, 1987; Simon Inglis: Football Grounds of Britain, 1996; Simon Inglis: Engineering Archie, 2005

Listing NGR: TQ2365076621

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201946
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inglis, S, Football Grounds of Britain, (1996)
Inglis, S, 'Played In Britain' in Engineering Archie Archibald Leitch Football Ground Designer, (2005)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15475/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Addison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].