DIMCO MACHINE TOOLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1079757

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: DIMCO MACHINE TOOLS, WOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DIMCO MACHINE TOOLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 13:23:01.

Location

Statutory Address: DIMCO MACHINE TOOLS, WOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hammersmith and Fulham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 23405 80355

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



333/1/22 WOOD LANE 20-SEP-88 Dimco Machine Tools

II



Former electricity generating station. 1898-9 for Central London Railway. Harry Bell Measures FRIBA, architect, with Horace Field Parshall, engineer. Red and pink brick, iron roofs, stone coping to parapet. Two adjoining single-height gable-ended sheds, comprising the former boiler house to the west and the former power generating house to the east. EXTERIOR: West shed of five bays in length, divided with piers, with arched cast-iron windows (some blocked) below a dentilled brick cornice; five bay north and south elevations with two lunette windows at lower level, and three arch headed openings within the gable. Behind the west shed, connected by a single storey building, are two chimney bases, of blue and red brick with stone dressings, to the north of the westernmost shed; chimney shafts taken down in c.1928. East shed of eleven bays in length, with five bay elevations to north and south; south elevation has a pair of arched windows at ground floor level below three arch headed openings within the gable; north elevation has two orders of arch-headed windows at ground floor level and three arch headed openings within the gable. INTERIOR: west shed (former boiler house) has a plain interior with double rows of supports to the iron roof trusses. East shed (former generating house) has iron roof trusses, walls faced in glazed green, brown and yellow brick, a mobile gantry crane, a switch gallery with double stairs, balustrade and iron columns, and offices to rear. HISTORY: These buildings were originally used as the engine house and boiler house of the Wood Lane generating station which supplied energy for the Central Line. They now constitute the earliest extant example of an electricity generating station built for the London Underground Railway system. The generating station closed in 1928 and the building was later used by the Dimco power tool company.



Listing NGR: TQ2340580355

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 201954

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing