THE ROYAL LIBERTY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1079885

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1979

Statutory Address: THE ROYAL LIBERTY SCHOOL, UPPER BRENTWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROYAL LIBERTY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079885 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 05:30:27.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ROYAL LIBERTY SCHOOL, UPPER BRENTWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Havering (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 53212 89728

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UPPER BRENTWOOD ROAD 1. 5017 Gidea Park The Royal Liberty School TQ 5289/5389 4/2 II* 2. 1768/9 with late C19 additions. Formerly known as Hare Hall. Mansion designed by James Paine for J A Wallinger. Ashlar faced main block joined by colonnades to 2 storey pavilions. Rusticated ground floor with 4 square sashes, semi-circular headed niches at either end and central entrance with modern door and semi-circular Tuscan porch of 1896. One-three-one bays. Projecting centre with four 3/4 columns.of an Adamesque Ionic order supporting a pediment with coats of arms and swags; coupled pilasters at each end of the front. First floor has tall semi-circular headed window with lower round-headed niches on either side. Outer bays with tall straight headed sashes, with balustrade below moulded string course. Reeded string above first floor. Attic storey with small oblong sashes, entablature, cornice and shallow pitched slate roof. Plain return elevations of 3 bays with rusticated ground floor. Flanking colonnades originally single storey, now heightened; rectangular pavilions of 3 bays and 2 storeys with pyramidal slate roofs, right hand pavilion retains original central stack. Rear elevation of red brick with moulded stone cornice and pedimented centre; 3 sashes with gauged plum brick arches. Two lower floors obscured by later 2 storey additions. Large central Tuscan porch. Many of the additions by W Seth Smith circa 1896. Interior much altered, but top-lit oval staircase survives, also some panelling and chimney pieces in first floor rooms.



Listing NGR: TQ5321289728

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 201665

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing