This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1079912



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Haringey

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 201534

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TOWN HALL APPROACH ROAD (west side) TQ 3389 26/285 Former Tottenham Public Baths


Public baths, now community hall and public baths. Built 1905 by A S Taylor and R Jemmett. English bond red brick with Portland stone bands and dressings; hipped Welsh slate roofs; brick stacks with moulded stone caps. Edwardian Baroque style. 3 storeys. 2:3:2 fenestration with taller central block brought forward. Central block has ground floor of ashlar with rusticated Tuscan pilasters and semi-circular arches with prominent keystones, framing central window flanked by original half-glazed double doors to left and mid C20 double doors to right set in panelled reveals. 9-pane sashes and mid C20 door (to right) on ground floor are set in square-headed rusticated architrave. First-floor 12-pane sashes set in eared architraves beneath pulvinated friezes with cornices to outer bays and pediments to centre; 9-pane second-floor sashes set in eared architraves. Modillioned cornice, with open pediment over central bay which has semi-circular arched window with prominent keystone. Original rainwater heads with modillioned cornices and ball pendants. The central moulded string course is continued as a string course beneath the parapets of the two outer blocks, which have rusticated segmental arch over half-glazed double doors to left and open pediment set over coping above 9-pane sash to right. Louvred ventilator and glazed strip lights to pool roof; boiler house chimney to rear. Interior: offices to front of two pools, one now converted into a community.hall. One of 3 municipal buildings, originally interlinked by iron gateways, built by A S Taylor and R Jemmett for Tottenham Borough Council. (The Builder, April 14, 1904).

Listing NGR: TQ3361389391

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 14 April, (1904)

National Grid Reference: TQ 33613 89391


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079912 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:12:29.

End of official listing