Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1079968

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Mar-1973



Ordnance survey map of LEE PUBLIC LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 05:56:35.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 39362 75052


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


OLD ROAD SE13 1. 4424 Lee Public Library [Formerly listed as No 34 - The Manor House (Lewisham TQ 3975 15/L66 30.8.54. Public Library)]


2. 1771-2, probably by Richard Jupp. 2 storeys and basement, 5 windows. Slightly projecting centre 3-bay section has half-storey over. Yellow stock brick. Stone entablature with fluted architrave, garlands in frieze. Blocking course over. In attic storey 4 flat pilasters support cornice. Low pitched hipped slated roofs. Ground floor cill string. Rusticated stone basement. l-storey and basement, 2 window right wing, partly rebuilt. 2-storey and basement left wing, blank but for one round window on lst floor and one small door. Gauged flat brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars in stucco lined reveals. 7 stone steps, with side walls and wrought iron inner rails, to tetrastyle porch with leafy capitals, garlands in frieze and pediment over. Later inscription in tympanum: "MANOR HOUSE". Porch now glazed. Cast iron gallery to flat roof centre. South (garden) front. Similar style and proportions but 3 middle windows in large round bow. Moulded stone architraves and cornice to windows. In right wing long dog-leg stair to entrance set back under round arch, 3-light sash window above, under plaster fanlight tympanum. Round arched niche under round window at right. Inside in hall screen of columns with leafy capitals. Reading room with large South bow has ceiling and cornice in shallow, Adam style plasterwork. Similar plaster work and screen of Ionic columns in ante-room to East, Enriched window architraves, reveals and shutters. Similar South room on West side. lst floor landing has arched screen with Ionic columns; groin vaulted passage behind, with Adam style decorative plaster work on walls. Central niche; and niche at stair head. Enriched cornices to principal upstairs rooms. House belonged at one time to Julius Angerstein who married the widow of its 1st owner Thomas Lucas. In 1796 he sold it to Francis Baring, founder of Baring's Bank.

Lee Public Library Walls and Gate Piers and Pentland House and Walls form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ3936275052


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203387

Legacy System: LBS


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

End of official listing