This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PENTLAND HOUSE (NOW GOLDSMITHS COLLEGE HOSTEL)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENTLAND HOUSE (NOW GOLDSMITHS COLLEGE HOSTEL)

List entry Number: 1079969

Location

PENTLAND HOUSE (NOW GOLDSMITHS COLLEGE HOSTEL), OLD ROAD SE13

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203390

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLD ROAD SE13 1. 4424 Pentland House (now Goldsmiths College Hostel) TQ 3975 15/L67 30.8.54.

II GV 2. Built between 1691 and 1699, on land bought by John Smith from the widow of Christopher Boone whose house stood just to the North. Later additions, Main house of 2 storeys, attic and basement, 5 windows. High pitched. double span roof, renewed in machine tile, with 3 flat dormers. Now stuccoed, with modified entablature and coved eaves cornice. lst floor bard. Moulded architraves to replaced sash windows. l-storey left entrance link, with Doric porch, to set back, mid C19 addition of 2 storeys, 4 windows. Stucco, with slated roof of moderate pitched [Other extensions are C20 and not included.] Cl9 glass covered way on cast iron posts, from porch to street gate. Inside, panelled hall and staircase with solid string and replaced balusters. Square newel posts have carved finials with great heads of flowers and fruit, imported (some say from Boone's house, where Grinling Gibbons was employed in carving). One long fully panelled ground floor room. Plaster ceiling of landing has raised border with mistletoe pattern. Ceiling of lst floor library has raised border of fruit and flowers, rounded at ends, with leaf and flower panels in spandrels Some exposed timbers and old fioorboards in attic. House belonged in C18 to Mathew Smith, Major of the Tower of London; and in early Cl9 to Admiral Sir George Martin who served under Nelson.

Lee Public Library, Walls and Gate Piers and Pentland House and Walls form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ3930075076

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 39310 75077

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079969 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2018 at 03:14:08.

End of official listing