Church of St Paul

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1080086
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1973
Statutory Address:
Church of St Paul, Queen's Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT2 7SF

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080086.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 03:23:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Paul, Queen's Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT2 7SF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 19308 70145

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/04/2018

TQ 17 SE 1/13

KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES QUEEN'S ROAD Church of St Paul

(Formerly listed under ALEXANDRA ROAD) 30.11.73

GV II Church in Gothic style; three periods of construction. Nave and side aisles and possibly crossing completed by 1878 to the design of F Peck; south and north transepts to design of Percy Lamb completed 1924 and 1928 respectively. Nave and chancel well matched internally. Nave of four bays with lean-to side aisles; pair of short windows in Early English style to each bay of both nave and side aisles. South west end of nave with two tall windows with hexafoil over and with centre doorway below, the last with pointed arch internally and with two-centred arch of ashlar faced with stone; tile roofs; full height buttresses at south west end of nave. Chancel with apse of five tall narrow bays with buttresses extending outwards over ambulatory; tile roof with walls of chequer brick, buttresses of ashlar and brick and ashlar dressings.

Interior of church of lofty proportions; timber roofs to both nave and chancel; walls faced in bricks, chancel with red bricks and nave walls with golden bricks with red brick bands and diapering. Lofty chancel arch; lower walls to transept wings; bays of nave with wide pointed arches.

Listing NGR: TQ1930870145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203072
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15129/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Maddy Cannon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].