Clock Tower

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1080097
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1983
Statutory Address:
Clock Tower, Claremont Road, Kingston upton Thames

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080097.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 02:28:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
Clock Tower, Claremont Road, Kingston upton Thames

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ1806467501

Details

TQ 1867 NW TQ 1867 SW 11A/9 11B/9

KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES CLAREMONT ROAD Clock Tower II

Square, stone-faced Gothic clock tower erected 1905-1906.

The tower has four stages. Each face is similar. The bottom stage rises from a stepped base. It has diagonal buttresses and a recessed niche crowned with an arched, cusped canopy, side pinnacles, gablet containing oculus and finial. The niche on the south side contains a bronze, oval medallion with bust of Edward VII. The second stage is blank, except for two small loopholes and a small trefoil. The third stage contains a triple lancet window with louvred lights. Cornice above. The top stage, containing the clock faces, is corbelled out slightly. The clock faces are set beneath gablets with carved label stops and finials. There are corner pinnacles and the stage is crowned with stone lantern carried on flying buttresses, with a spirelet and carved finial and wrought iron weather vane incorporating the letters 'A.E.'.

Listing NGR: TQ1806467501

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203098
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Dec 2007
Reference: IOE01/17077/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].