CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1080163

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Oct-1994

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, ST PETER'S WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 10:22:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, ST PETER'S WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hillingdon (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 08800 78214

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ0878 31/395

ST PETER'S WAY (west side) Church of St Peter and St Paul

(Formerly listed as Harlington Parish Church, High Street, Harlington)

27.5.49

GV I Parish church. C12 nave and south doorway, C14 chancel, late C15 tower. Restored by J Oldrid Scott, 1878-80 when the north aisle was added.

Rubble and flint walls with stone dressings; early C16 wooden south porch. South doorway: limestone, round arch of four orders. Narrow outer door with circular motifs above battlement mouldings, third order of cat's head mouldings, second order of chevron mouldings, innermost voussoirs plain. Enriched jambs with decorated capitals; nook-shafts replaced in C19. Wooden porch early C16, with open moulded uprights and pitched tiled roof possibly reused.

Nave: C12 south wall with later window openings; northern nave aisle, with arcade of three-pointed arch openings on octagonal piers added by J.O Scott. Open timber king post roof restored 1878-80. Baroque monument on south wall to Lord Ossulton (d.l1686) and wives. War memorial, 1920 by Charles Oldrid Scott.

Chancel: added c1340. Chancel arch by J Oldrid Scott. Open king post roof. Late C19 pews, sanctuary floor of encaustic tiles, C16 Easter sepulchre formerly combined with monument to Gregory Lovell (1545), whose brass is repositioned nearby. In Gothic niches flanking the altar are recumbent effigies to Count Jerome de Salis (d.1836) by Richard Lucas and to Countess Henrietta de Salis (d.1856) by William Theed. Gothic monument William de Salis (d.1856) by Inigo Thomas. East window by C.E Kempe, 1873, three lights depicting the Crucifixion. Windows in south aisle by Willement depicting the Ascension, 1845, and by A L Moore, 1889, depicting Christ in Majesty.

North Aisle: early C16 doorway to vestry moved to present position in 1878-80 restoration. Monument by Boehm to Lieutenant-general Rudolph de Salis (d.1880) on east wall. West Tower houses baptistery with C12 font of Purbeck marble: square bowl with arcading to sides carried on shaft with colonnettes at corners. Stained glass window of the Presentation in the Temple by Kempe, 1903.

The church has a remarkably rural setting supplied by its churchyard, which is celebrated for its yew trees and tombs.

Listing NGR: TQ0880078214

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 202961

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/136

End of official listing