CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1080479

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CLAPHAM ROAD SW9

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:46:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CLAPHAM ROAD SW9

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30059 75926

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAPHAM ROAD SW9 1. (west side) 5023 Church of St John the Evangelist TQ 3075 17/282 14.7.55

II

2. 1842 by C C Nelson. Rectangular classical church of one tall storey with hexastyle Ionic portico and pediment over entablature, both enriched with egg and dart moulding. Three entrances, the central very tall in moulded architrave with paterae border and console bracketed cornice. Entablature continues around 5-window returns with cill band and stone plinth, greyish brick walls. Three plain windows in eared, moulded architraves at east end, and vestry extension. Undercroft below chancel. This church was associated with the evangelical "Clapham Sect" of which William Wilberforce was the most famous member.

Listing NGR: TQ3005975926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 204171

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing