This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LAMBETH TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LAMBETH TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1080534

Location

LAMBETH TOWN HALL, ACRE LANE SW2
LAMBETH TOWN HALL, BRIXTON HILL SW2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204011

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3075 17/16 BRIXTON HILL SW2 (west side) Lambeth Town Hall II Town Hall. 1905-8 by Septimus Warwick and H Austen Hall, raised and extended 1935-8 by Whinney, Son and Austen Hall, job architect ER Silver. Red brick with Portland stone dressings in modified Baroque style. L-shaped plan abutting the angle between Brixton Hill and Acre Lane, with a rounded corner over which rises tall square, brick tower with wide stone quoins and heavy cornice on square brackets. Stage above has clock faces under open pediments with sculptured figures, representing Justice, Science, Art and Literature, at angles. Top stage has scrolled angle buttresses supporting crown finial on plinth.

Main body of building of red brick banded in stone and with high stone plinth and heavy modillioned cornice with balustraded parapet. Windows in stone architraves with elaborate keystones, those on ground floor round arched. Rusticated stone angle section with Ionic Order through slightly set back first floor. Three windows in rebated bay at either side of doorway under coat of arms with supporting figures and crown crest. This part raised a storey in 1935-8. Western extension in simplified style, with firstly a symmetrical five-bay composition of three set-back tripartite casements - those to the ground floor rich round arches and those to the first and second floors with keystones - between projecting single-range wings with stone plinths and quoins, that to the east incorporating a door with large fanlight and moulded keystone. All with second floor band, bolection-moulded cornice and parapet. Finally a five-bay range with ground floor of Portland stone, double height metal casements, and projecting metal canopy over double doors leading to assembly hall, culminating in corner tower with aediculed openings, pediment and chimney. Blind rear elevation particularly handsome, relieved by a single figure of 'youth' by Denis Dunlop.

Interior reached through long, narrow entrance hall flanked by stairs to council chambers, relieved with plaques to Violet Szabo, the 'Windrush' and other important local residents and events, also memorials to the fallen of both World Wars. Plaque of a wheelwright's shop by Tinworth. Former rates hall, now meeting room at rear reached off vaulted corridors. From entrance hall, staircases to either side with metal balustrades, brass rails and marble dado panels lead to civic suite. This survives little altered, with original cornices and panelled interlinking doors to committee rooms. Council chamber in rear angle (over rates hall) is a double-height rectangular space with public gallery over, original fixed horseshoe seating and deep coved ceiling. Original light fittings. Assembly hall with original raised panelling and stage, reached also by separate entrance which has marble-lined vestibule, trabeated ceiling, paybox and original glass light fittings.

Listing NGR: TQ3094575210

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30945 75210

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080534 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:46:09.

End of official listing