CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1080569
Date first listed:
27-Mar-1981
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ANGELL ROAD SW9
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, WILTSHIRE ROAD SW9

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080569.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:19:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ANGELL ROAD SW9
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, WILTSHIRE ROAD SW9

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31430 75978

Details

ANGELL ROAD SW9 1. (south side) 5023 Church of St John the Evangelist TQ 3175 18/28

II

2. 1852-3 by Benjamin Ferrey. Kentish ragstone rubble, with Bath stone dressings, in Perpendicular style. Nave with clerestory, lower chancel. Nave aisles continue to become chancel aisles but stop short of east end. Plain parapets to body of church, but a battlemented parapet of stone chequerwork to tall west tower of 4 stages with angle turrets, paired bell-openings and clock below. Plain plastered interior has 4-bay nave with tall octagonal arcade piers. Original pews. West gallery and organ in tower behind. Chancel east end walled off leaving only a short sanctuary. Some fragments of heraldic glass in south aisle. North transept of 1876.

Listing NGR: TQ3143075978

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203993
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12271/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].