MICHELIN HOUSE THE MAIN PART FACING THE FULHAM ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1080656

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1969

Statutory Address: MICHELIN HOUSE THE MAIN PART FACING THE FULHAM ROAD, 81, FULHAM ROAD SW3

Map

Ordnance survey map of MICHELIN HOUSE THE MAIN PART FACING THE FULHAM ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 18:28:08.

Location

Statutory Address: MICHELIN HOUSE THE MAIN PART FACING THE FULHAM ROAD, 81, FULHAM ROAD SW3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27224 78735

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2778 NW FULHAM ROAD SW3 48/23 15.4.69 No 81 (Michelin House the main part facing the Fulham Road)

II

1905, extended. 1910. Architect, J Espinasse of Clermont-Ferrand. Two storeys, concrete and brick construction faced with glazed terra-cotta. Three bay front, the ground floor divided by ornamental piers, with ornamental ironwork below lintels. Ornamental cornice over. Large round arched central window with shaped gable over with tyre models as kneelers. Windows to right and left with rectangular heads beneath ornamental panels decorated with wheels and foliage. Small octagonal corner turrets to full height but with some red brick. Left hand return of 9 bays, right hand of 5, with further, simpler windows behind. Return sides continued in similar style. Segmental and square headed windows on ground floor. First floor windows flat headed with words "Michelin Tyre Company Limited Bibendum" over. Ends with windows between piers; ornamental frieze between storeys. Open segmental pediments at intervals with inset faience tyres. The material is Bermentofts Marmo facing. Series of pictorial tile panels on the side elevations (ground floor) and inside the drive-in by Gilardoni Fils of Paris. The panels represent the racing successes of cars with Michelin tyres between 1900 and 1908, and in the fitting bay Edward VII and Prince George in their Michelin type fitted car.

Listing NGR: TQ2722478735

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203794

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing