THE ORATORY HOUSE (BLOCK PARALLEL TO BROMPTON ROAD, BROMPTON ORATORY)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1080763

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: THE ORATORY HOUSE (BLOCK PARALLEL TO BROMPTON ROAD, BROMPTON ORATORY), BROMPTON ROAD SW3

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ORATORY HOUSE (BLOCK PARALLEL TO BROMPTON ROAD, BROMPTON ORATORY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080763 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:51:12.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ORATORY HOUSE (BLOCK PARALLEL TO BROMPTON ROAD, BROMPTON ORATORY), BROMPTON ROAD SW3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27115 79156

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for: TQ 2779 SW BROMPTON ROAD SW3 40/40 The Oratory House (block parallel to Brompton Road, Brompton Oratory)

GV II*

London headquarters, private chapel and library of the Oratorian fathers. Main house (north block) and northern part of west wing designed by JJ Scoles, 1853. Southern part of west wing, 1872-3, partially refaced in stone by Leonard Stokes, 1911. Gault brick and stucco, slate roofs. Italianate style. North block: four storeys, five windows wide, sash windows with margin lights, rustications to ground floor, central entrance. West wing: three storeys, with balustraded parapets. Interior of west wing includes on ground floor the Little Oratory, refitted with stalls apsidal sanctuary, altar and ceiling decoration by J Hungerford Pollen, 1871-2 and with grisaille paintings on walls by Edgar Ritchard with Adrian Brookholding-Jones, 1954; on first floor the galleried library is chiefly by Scoles. At south end of west wing, St Wilfred's Hall on first floor has Italianate painted decoration. The Oratory House is connected at the east end to the Brompton Oratory Church(q.v.) Source: Survey of London, vol. 41, 1983, pp. 50-55

Listing NGR: TQ2711579156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203547

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Southern Kensington: Volume 41, (1983), 50-55

End of official listing