CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1080852

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 11:14:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16489 73328

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5028 CHURCH STREET

Church of St Mary TQ 1673 21/34 2.9.52

II*

2. Perpendicular west tower, but body of church rebuilt to designs of John James in 1714-15. Rubblestone tower of 3 stages with corner buttresses, battlemented parapet and perpendicular tracery. Polygonal staircase turret on south-east corner. Nave and aisles plum brick with red dressings with rubbed and gauged brickwork. Five-bay nave, 3 centre bays breaking forward under pediment. Giant order pillasters. Two-storey elevation, with segmental windows below, round-headed above. Portland stone base. Heavy cornice. Galleried interior supported upon timber fluted Corinthian columns. Original wooden reredos and metal altar rails. Many good monuments including that to Francis Parlton d. 1642 to east end of south aisle and that to William Humble d. 1680. Alexander Pope d. 1744 also buried in the church. Monument to Challoner Ogle by Rysbrack. Burial place of Pope, Kneller etc.

Listing NGR: TQ1648973328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 205285

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing