PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1080948
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH PATH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080948.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:42:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH PATH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Merton (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27047 68689

Details

In the entry for:

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON CHURCH ROAD, Mitcham TQ 2768 (north side) 12/22 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul 16.1.54 GV II

the building shall be upgraded to grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Parish church. 1819-22, with medieval fabric in tower base. George Smith, architect. Roman cement render with some Bath stone dressings. Slate roof, pitched to parapet. 5-bay nave, aisled and with clerestorey; chancel arch to 2-bay sanctuary flanked by chapels. South east tower of three stages with oculus to first floor and 2-light bell louvres above, crenellated parapet and octagonal corner turrets. 5-light east window with reticulated tracery; the other windows Perpendicular and culminating in spectacular five-light Perpendicular west window. Grotesque label stops to aisle windows. Interior has tall arcades with clustered columns from which rises lierne plaster vault of remarkable charm and elegance. Rear gallery, modified in 1869. 1820s font. Reredos of 1899. Monuments include that to Sir Ambrose and Lady Crawley (d.1713 and 1727) by Gibbs and Rysbrack at the west end; to John Hyde (d.1810 ) by Rouw; tablets to the Tate family by Charles Harris. War memorial with central panel of St George and the Dragon by Martin Travers. An early example of a Gothic Revival church in a pure Perpendicular style. George Smith was long the architect to the Mercers' Company and had an interest in designing his churches in varying historical styles. This is his exemplar in Perpendicular.

------------------------------------

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON CHURCH ROAD, Mitcham TQ 2768 (north side) 12/22 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul 16.1.54 GV II

Parish church. 1819-22, with medieval fabric to tower. George Smith, architect. Cement render. Slate roof, pitched to parapet. Perpendicular style. 5-bay nave, aisled; clerestory. Lower chancel tower to south east. 5-light east window, inter- secting tracery. 3-light aisle and 2-light clerestory windows; reticulated tracery. 3-stage tower with oculus to first floor and 2-light bell louvres above; crenellated parapet and octagonal corner turret; pinnacles. Chancel chapels to north and south. Interior with clustered piers to tall painted arcade arches; shafts rising to tierceron vaults. Monuments by R Westmacott and others.

Listing NGR: TQ2704768689

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
205020
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/135558
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/12322

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/02203/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Strevens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].