Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081409.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:31:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Malvern Hills (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 72322 68973



6/166 Church of St James



Parish church. 1832-3 by Thomas Jones on old site; alterations of 1891 by George Vialls. Part ashlar with Welsh slate roof, part snecked rock- faced sandstone with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs; parapets at gable ends with cross finials. West tower with south porch, three-bay nave, two-bay chancel with north vestry and organ chamber. Perpendicular style. West window of tower, bell-chamber openings, south entrance and nave windows have hood moulds with large head stops. West tower: 1832; three stages with plinth and three strings; set-back buttresses with off- sets; 3-light west window; second stage has a lancet with a square hood and returns to north and south elevations; belfry stage has 2-light louvred bell-chamber openings; embattled parapet above, now without its corner pinnacles. The tower stairs project to the north-east of the tower and have three loopholes beneath the second stage string and a pair of loop- holes above it at the west side. The tower originally had north and south doorways; surviving south entrance has canted porch of 1891 with a parapet stepped at the centre with a cross finial; the archway beneath has a hood and imposts and a rectangular light with cusped tracery to the left side; within the south entrance has panels of blind tracery in the spandrels within the square hood. Nave: 1832; broad and unaisled with embattled parapet; buttresses with offsets at bay divisions and set-back buttresses at west end; there is a narrow doorway to the tower stairs between the north-west pair of buttresses; both elevations have a 2-light window in their easternmost bay and two 3-light windows. Chancel: 1891; 5-light east window with stepped sill string; two C13 style 2-light windows in south elevation with continuous hood mould; north elevation has a cusped lancet at its eastern end and from western end projects gabled vestry and organ chamber with small hipped-roofed projection to east side; north gable end has two pairs of cusped rectangular lights, a 3-light square- headed window with quatrefoil opening above in the gable apex and a door with a cambered head; steps with spear-headed railings lead down to a basement door; blocked opening in west side and a 2-light and a single-light opening on east side of hipped projection. Interior: round-headed chancel arch of one shafted order and 4-centred tower arch, both of 1891. Nave roof has slender hammer-beam trusses and chancel has a panelled barrel roof. Chancel has a large 4-centred archway into organ chamber and south windows have uncarved blocks for capitals; cusped pointed arched aumbry. Octagonal font of 1832; other fittings of c1891 and slightly influenced by Arts and Crafts Style. Memorials: in tower base is an oval late C18 memorial to the Crump family and an early and mid-C19 memorial to the Clutton and Clutton Brock families. The church includes some remarkably competent and archaeologically accurate Perpendicular detailing for its 1832 date; the windows of the tower and nave are of particular interest in this respect. (BoE, p 234-5).

Listing NGR: SO7232268973


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 234-5


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01884/09
Rights: Copyright IoE R Derek Wilbraham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].