CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1081465
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081465.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:29:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Titley
National Grid Reference:
SO 33125 60178

Details

SO 36 SW TITLEY CP TITLEY

4/48 Church of St Peter

GV II

Parish church. 1865 by E Haycock Jnr. On site of former priory of a cell of the order or Tiron, a branch of the Benedictine order. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and tiled roof. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. West tower of three stages with string course and embattled parapet. Single lancets to each stage. Clock face to south. Nave has plinth and a string course which continues over the windows and acts as a label. Four bays with one single traceried light to left and two windows with two cinquefoil headed lights and quatrefoil in roundel to right of gabled south porch with trefoil headed outer doorway. Four similar 2-light windows to north aisle. Tripartite window to chancel with outer taller trefoil-headed lights flanking central shorter light and trefoil in roundel, single trefoil headed light to right, 3-light east window. Interior has a four-bay arcade to the north aisle with two-centred arched heads and circular piers with moulded bases and capitals. Open arch-braced trusses to nave and chancel. Monuments on south wall of chancel; two wall tablets, both Greenly memorials with broken pedi- ment and cartouche of arms, Doric pilasters, commemorate John Greenly, died 1729 and William Greenly, died 1834. (BoE, p 300).

Listing NGR: SO3312560178

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149187
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 300

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12284/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].