Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1081702
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Almeley

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081702.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:39:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Almeley

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Almeley
National Grid Reference:
SO 33274 51501

Details

SO 35 SW 1/1

ALMELEY CP Church of St Mary

02.09.66

GV I Parish church. C13 and C14 with later alterations. Sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings with stone slate roofs. Four-bay aisled nave, two-bay chancel with north vestry, west tower and south porch.

West tower is embattled with high battered plinth and three stages, the top two of which are separated by moulded strings. The three faces of the two lower stages each have a central loop. Clock face, probably early C20, above the upper loop of the north face. Each side of the top stage has a restored two-light opening with ogee head to each light and labels and head stops. The moulded string below the parapet has a diagonal waterspout to each corner. Above the upper loop of the west side is a single medieval head. Weathercock to centre of roof.

North elevation of nave has clerestory with three opposed two-light traceried windows. The outer windows have cinquefoil-headed lights; the centre trefoiled ogeed lights. All have a quatrefoil in the tracery. North aisle has a traceried west window with two flat trefoil-headed lights and a trefoil above. North elevation of north aisle has gable to left-hand side containing a large four-light traceried window. Each light has a trefoiled head and above are two rows of quatrefoils in reticulated tracery. To the right are a pair of two-light windows, each light being trefoiled and ogee-headed. The left one has a trefoil above. Between these windows is the north doorway with a pointed segmental head and a nail-studded oak door. Three weathered buttresses are evenly spaced along the wall and there are diagonal buttresses to north-west and north-east corners. Above the west end of the aisle is a C19 octagonal chimney shaft. The two-light window at the east end of the aisle has a two-centred head, two trefoiled ogee lights and a quatrefoil above. Between this window and the chancel is a newel turret to former rood loft.

Chancel has on the north side a pair of trefoiled lights, the vestry a gable containing a pair of lancets and a C19 doorway with a shouldered lintel. The east return of the vestry has a square headed two-light mullioned window. Restored east window has four trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoils in the tracery. South side of chancel has two weathered buttresses and two restored windows each with two trefoiled lights and a square head. Between is a priest's doorway with a double chamfered two-centred arch and label.

South elevation of nave is similar to that of north elevation, but with a south porch having a two-centred chamfered outer arch and a single-frame collar roof. South doorway has similar arch to outer arch of porch and a nail-studded oak door.

INTERIOR has C14 open wagon chancel roof with crested wall plates. C16 nave roof has trusses forming 6 and half bays with angle struts to ties and slopes divided into panels. The two eastern bays of the roof are boarded and decorated with large painted rosettes. Chancel has ogee headed piscina to south wall. Alongside are sedilia in cill of south-east window. Restored tomb recess in north wall has crockets. Doorway to vestry has shouldered head.

East window has C19 stained glass depicting saints. South-east window has late C19 stained glass of the Annunciation and Nativity. Later C19 oak and brass communion rails. Early C20 organ with oak case, inscribed WG VOWLES/ BRISTOL. Wall monument on south side to Henry Mason, died 1794, in black and grey marble. Brass plaque for Henry Allen, dated 1767. On north wall monument for Thomas Carwardin, died 1746 has three cherubs surrounding inscription.

Late C19 brass candelabrum in form of a wheel with eight candlesticks hangs from middle of roof. Late C19 or early C20 chancel screen incorporating earlier elements. Vestry has two-bay wagon roof with curved braces and trefoil-headed wind braces, perhaps C14. Chancel arch is C14 with two-centred head and two orders. Label with headstops and carved head to apex of outer order. Corbel heads support inner arch. High-set doorway on north side to former rood loft has triangular head. Nave arcade has octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases and two-centred double-chamfered arches. Doorway to stairs to former roodloft from north aisle has flat cinquefoiled head. Low two-centred tower arch is filled with C17 panelling comprising four turned balusters and two flat barleysugar balusters respectively to right and left of illeted door. Above the tower arch is a blocked segmental opening.

Font is C19 octagonal with two pairs of ogee-headed panels to each face of bowl. Contemporary oak pulpit has trefoiled panels. Eastern pews have desks with C17 panelling incorporating grotesques and arch motifs. Two candelabra like that in chancel. Two matching wall monuments to either side of tower arch for Thomas and William Foley, died 1822 and 1828, with single urn to cornice of each. Wall memorial plaque to the 17 men of the parish who died from 1914-19 and six from 1939-45.

(Building of England, p 65; RCHM, Vol III, p 4 - 6).

Listing NGR: SO3327251502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150370
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 4-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16743/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].