CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1081863
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:54:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eyton
National Grid Reference:
SO 47509 61557

Details

SO 46 SE EYTON CP EYTON

6/14 Church of All Saints

11.6.59

GV II*

Chapel, now parish church. Probably C12, enlarged C14, refitted late C15, heavily restored and extended 1853. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and tile roof. Chancel and nave in one, C19 north vestry, C17 south porch. Nave: south wall of four bays, two trefoiled lancets to west end, then south porch, and to east a window of three ogee trefoil lights. The C17 timber- framed south porch has two ornamental struts above the tie-beam of the gable truss and the walls are divided into two bays each with a 2-light opening. The west window is a trefoiled lancet, with an ogee trefoil bellcote on the gable above. North wall of three bays, the centre occupied by the C19 north vestry. To west of vestry, a window of two ogee trefoil lights, to east a trefoiled lancet. North window of vestry has three trefoiled lights, the east door a trefoil head. Chancel of one bay with a small semi-circular headed window in north wall and a trefoiled lancet in south wall. East window of three stepped ogee trefoil lights with ogee label. Interior: door to north vestry has a trefoiled head. Sedile in south wall of chancel with ogee trefoil head, square headed locker to east of same. Roofs: probably late C15, chancel of one main bay sub-divided by two arch-braced collar trusses, with the cusped wind-braces forming quatrefoils. Nave roof of two-and-a-half bays with moulded tie-beams, arched braced collars above and moulded purlins. Wall-plates moulded and embattled throughout. Fittings: oak screen between nave and chancel has a central doorway flanked by five bays on each side. The doorway has a four-centred head with traceried spandrels. The other bays have open upper panels with ogee trefoil heads. Above these is a moulded cornice and coved loft. The moulded front beam of loft is carved with two bands of foliage, the lower beam has pendant brattishing of fleurs-de-lys. The boarded cove is panelled with moulded ribs and carved bosses at the intersections. Wall tablet on north wall of chancel is framed by elaborate carved foliage, with a segmental pediment surmounted by a coat of arms. The inscription reads:

"IN Memory of JOS COATES Esqr who departed this transitory life Novr 23rd 1793 aged 53 A good Husband, a good Father & a good Master

O Earth, to his remains indulgent be, Who so much care and cost bestow'd on Thee Here taught the Day to wear a thoughtfull gloom And there enliven'd Natures Vernal bloom The Barren Fields with Fruit Trees here be lin'd And ev'ry limb be with Hop-binds twin'd Propitious Earth lie lightly on his Head; And ever on his Urn transparent glories Spread

Also in Sacred Memory of

MARY his wife who died June 18th 1799 Aged 68 A good Wife, a good Mother and a Good Christian."

(RCHM, III, p 61-62; BoE, p 130).

Listing NGR: SO4750961557

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150035
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 61-62
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 130

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10792/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].