BURTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1081945

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1953

Statutory Address: BURTON COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BURTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081945 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 04:55:54.

Location

Statutory Address: BURTON COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Eardisland

National Grid Reference: SO 42284 57190

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 45 NW EARDISLAND CP -

4/43 Burton Court

20.2.53

GV II*

Country house. C14, remodelled.c1808, restored c1865 by F Kempson and again in 1912 by Clough Williams Ellis. Timber-frame, clad and extended in stuccoed brick and ashlar under a tile roof. North-east front has a mid-C19 cross-wing to right, then the C14 great hall, with C20 porch and range to left. C19 range to right has a segmental plan, two-storey bay window, with three plate glass sashes. Hall to left has two windows of early C20, that to right of 3 by 3 lights, that to left four lights wide by three high, both with stone mullion and transoms. The porch to the left is also early C20 with a shaped gable bearing a sun-burst design over a moulded cornice. The first floor has stone cross window over the inscription "PLC & EEC". The entrance is flanked by Doric pilasters rising to a moulded entablature in the centre of which is set an elliptical window. The entrance below has a moulded architrave and semi-circular head. The panelled door with its semi-circular head has a centrally placed winged cherub's head. Interior has a semi-circular plan stair hall of the early C19 (date of 1808 on a bell to rear) with cantilevered stair which has a wrought iron balustrade. Great hall roof of five bays with arch-braced collar trusses. Two tiers of purlins with cusped wind-braces. Lateral stack on rear wall has an overmantel with two tiers of arcaded panelling and bearing the date 1654. (RCHM, 3, p 47, no 3; BoE, p 120; Guide Book, 1986 edition).

Listing NGR: SO4228457190

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149825

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 47
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 120
Other
Burton Court Eardisland Guide Book, 1986,

End of official listing