CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1082221
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082221.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:51:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Alfrick
National Grid Reference:
SO 74845 52974

Details

SO 75 SW ALFRICK CP -

3/1 Church of St Mary 29.7.59 Magdalene

GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 nave and chancel; north transept and vestry added in 1885 by Aston Webb. Rubble stone with tiled roof, shingled timber-framed belfry and timber-framed south porch with tiled roof. Nave has 3 Norman windows at west end on north, west and south walls, a cusped lancet to the north and south walls and 2 Perpendicular 2- light windows in the south wall flanking the porch; the window right of the porch is a C19 copy. Chancel has a cusped lancet and a Decorated 2-light window in the south wall and a Decorated 3-light east window. North transept has a 3-light Perpendicular window in the north wall. Vestry has a 3-light Perpendicular window in the east wall. Porch has C19 Perpendicular carved infill decoration. Belfry has wooden sundial on south face inscribed "On this moment hangs eternity", and a golden cockerel weathervane. Interior; nave has C15 timber roof; simple Norman font; early C17 altar table and altar rails with turned balusters now moved to north transept; Jacobean screen with late C19 applied decoration; piscina in south chancel wall; remnant of Norman sculpture preserved in north transept wall; Flemish glass incorporated in some windows. Kelly's Directory of Worcestershire, 1892.

Listing NGR: SO7484552974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
151308
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1892)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02410/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D Pagett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].