CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1082615
Date first listed:
18-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:03:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Donnington
National Grid Reference:
SO 70854 34211

Details

DONNINGTON CP - SO 73 SW

6/1 Church of St Mary

18.11.52

- II

Parish church. Circa 1300, altered and restored subsequently; north aisle 1862; chancel extended, porch and bellcote, new windows and other works 1878. Consists of nave with bell-turret at west, south porch, north aisle, chancel and north vestry. Coursed, squared rubble with freestone dressings; plain tiled roof. Nave of 2 windows, one with Y-tracery, all cusped; buttresses with offsets at corners; timber bell-turret with pyramidal slate roof, trefoil headed openings with quatrefoils above; sundial set at south-east. Projecting gabled porch with an ashlar plinth and arcaded timber upper parts. North aisle under catslide roof: 3 windows, single and 2-light with cinquefoil heads. Chancel: C19 single and 2-light windows, all with cinquefoil heads. Interior: 3 bay arcade to north aisle, octagonal piers and double chamfered arches; pointed chancel arch. Monument in chancel to Edward Webb, died 1855, by Lew of Cheltenham, marble, draped flags and arms with sword and hat. (N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963. RCHM, Herefordshire, Vol II, 1932).

Listing NGR: SO7085434211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152424
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10883/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Earle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].