CHURCH OF ST KENELM
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST KENELM
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083009 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:04:43.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST KENELM
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Malvern Hills (District Authority)
- Clifton upon Teme
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 71493 61611
SO 76 SW CLIFTON UPON TEME THE VILLAGE (north side)
2/24 Church of St Kenelm
Parish church. C13, early C14, with restorations of 1843, 1847/1853 and C20. 1847/1853 restoration by James Cranston. Coursed sandstone and travertine- like dressings, timber-framed south porch, plain tile roofs except shingled spire. C13 nave continuous with C13 chancel, C20 north vestry, early C14 south aisle, C20 south porch and C13 west tower with broach spire. West tower: 3 slightly receding stages divided by 2 moulded string courses, with probably C14 diagonal buttresses, C13 single lancets in ground and first stages (some blocked), twin flat headed lights to belfy. South aisle: C20 wooden porch to early C14 south door with 2 centred head of 2 chamfered orders continued down the jambs without imposts, between 2 restored 2-light trefoiled windows; east window: restored Decorated 3-light trefoiled window; west window: restored 2-light Y-tracery window: stepped corner buttresses. Chancel: 2 restored single light trefoiled windows in south wall flanking C14 priest's door with 2 centred head and label; east window: Decorated 3-light trefoiled window under 2 centred head, restored tracery; North wall: late C19 vestry with C13 single lancet to west; stepped corner buttresses. Nave: 2 restored, Decorated windows, each of 2 lights cinquefoiled, between them an opening blocked in the C14, probably a door. Interior: chancel: east window C14 arch of travertine-like stone; in north wall late C19 arch for organ; below easternmost window in south wall a restored piscina, probably C14. Nave: C14 piscina in south wall cut in one of jamb stones of arcade to south aisle: tower arch inserted in early C14 in same pattern as south door, in wall above tower arch a contemporary triangular headed opening. Arcade: 3 bays of early C14, restored, with 2 centred arches of 2 chamfered orders and label, octagonal pillars with moulded capitals. Roofs: collar rafter roof with braces to collar and ashlar pieces; the braces from rafter to collar are halved over the collars and cross is scissor fashion above, perhaps C13, restored; between nave and chancel: C19 arch braced collar truss resting on probably C19 foliated corbels; nave and south aisle roofs: collar rafter roof with braces to ccllar and ashlar pieces, arrises of all members stopped and chamfered, restored, construction date uncertain. Fittings: in east bay of arcade a late C13 recumbent effigy in stone; on north wall of have: monument to Elizabeth Jeffreys died 1688, and Henry Jeffreys died 1709 by Grinling Gibbons, there is a very similar monument to Jane Winnington Jeffreys (died 1718) immediately to west; 2 wall monuments of late C17 with heraldic cartouches on north and south faces of wall at west end of arcade; font: hexagonal bowl probably C13, on octagonal stem, probably C14; C14 heraldic stained glass in tracery of south aisle east window. (VCH, 4, pp 252/254; BoE page 122).
Listing NGR: SO7149361611
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 252-254
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 122
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.