RUINS OF WRESSLE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1083170

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: RUINS OF WRESSLE CASTLE, BREIGHTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF WRESSLE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:10:35.

Location

Statutory Address: RUINS OF WRESSLE CASTLE, BREIGHTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wressle

National Grid Reference: SE 70660 31547

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WRESSLE BREIGHTON ROAD SE 73 SW (west side, off)

5/145 Ruins of Wressle Castle 16.12.66 GV Castle. c1380 with later alterations and repairs. For Sir Henry Percy. Limestone ashlar with brick repair work. The south range only survives, consisting of 2 towers flanking a central rectangular range. The original hall formed the west range, and the gatehouse the east range, while the rectangle was completed by a north service range. South facade: central 3- storey, 6-bay range with 3-storey, 2-bay tower to left and 4-storey, 2-bay tower to right. The towers break forward slightly and their inner returns are occupied by square turrets. Double chamfered plinth. Left tower: blocked central square-headed 2-light mullioned window with blocked lancet to right. First floor: tall empty window opening with fine angel corbel to support original oriel. 2-light trefoiled transomed window to right. Second floor: stepped-in and with 2-light trefoiled transomed windows. Octagonal turret to north-west corner. Main range: irregular fenestration with square-headed slit windows to flanking turrets. Ground floor: all openings blocked. Square-headed doorway with trefoiled single-light window above. Otherwise round-headed windows of single, 2, 3 and 5 lights. First floor: tall window of 3 round-headed lights to left. Three trefoiled 2- light transomed windows with quatrefoils pierced through spandrels, rising through 2 storeys, to centre. Pair of square-headed single-light windows and a single-light trefoiled window to right. Second floor: single-light trefoiled window to left, 2 square-headed single-light windows to right. Octagonal chimney with elaborate cap to right turret. Right tower: pair of square-headed single-light windows flanked by single-light trefoiled windows, all blocked. First floor: 2-pairs of cinquefoiled windows with inverted trefoiled light flanked by niches to spandrels. Second and third floors each have paired trefoiled windows. Eaves string course and plain coped parapets throughout. Rear wall of central range similar to front facade. Interior: some 4-centred-arched fireplaces remain but the lavish plasterwork for which the castle was renowned was destroyed in a fire of 1796. The rest of the castle was demolished in 1648-50. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. Neave D, "Wressle Castle", Archaeological Journal, Vol 141, 1984, pp 58-60. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: 'York and the East Riding, 1972.

Listing NGR: SE7066031547

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 165373

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 141, (1984), 58-60

End of official listing