THE FRUIT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1083184
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
THE FRUIT HOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083184.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 14:29:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FRUIT HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Howden
National Grid Reference:
SE 74870 28094

Details

HOWDEN BISHOP'S MANOR PARK SE 7428 12/81 The Fruit House

16.12.66

GV II Fruit house to Bishop's Manor House, possibly originally a gatehouse. Medieval, rebuilt 1938, restored in 1986. Ashlar, rubble, brick. Single storey, single bay. Pointed single-span arch over river. Board door with ogee-arched panels beneath hollow-moulded basket arch. Plaque to left reads: 18th June 1938 Happy hearts and happy faces Happy play in grassy places That was how, in ancient ages Children grew to kings and sages R L Stevenson

Plaque to right reads "On 9th Oct 1929 water used for the church fire was pumped from this moat near by here being the only supply available". String course. Coped gable contains letters APF (Ashes Playing Field) in relief, with bellcote above, flanked by round embattled turrets. It is doubtful whether any of the features above the string course are original.

Listing NGR: SE7487028094

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165309
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03467/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].