2, CHURCHSIDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1083192
Date first listed:
15-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
2, CHURCHSIDE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083192.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 00:22:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
2, CHURCHSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Howden
National Grid Reference:
SE 74824 28282

Details

HOWDEN CHURCHSIDE SE 7428 (north side)

12/99 No 2

GV II House. 1876 for Miss Jane Small. White brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings, stone facing to ground-floor, slate roof. In Florentine palazzo style. 3 storeys, 3 bays, articulated at ground-floor level by banded Corinthian pilasters, and with rusticated quoins to angles of upper storeys. Central 6-panel double-leaf door with elliptical-arched overlight in door surround with acanthus motif to architrave. Elaborate datestone above in cartouche bears initials 'JS' and date '1876'. Flanking elliptical-arched fixed windows with dropped keystones and egg-and-dart motif to arches. Frieze with paterae and cornice held on 2 brackets with carved stone heads. First floor: plate-glass sashes in architraves with friezes bearing relief shell motifs flanked by brackets carrying cornices. Pediment to central window. Second floor: plate-glass sashes in architraves on continuous sill band. Frieze with alternating panels and brackets which support overhanging cornice with blocking course. Panelled and dentilled ridge and end stacks. Neave D, Howden Explored, 1979. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SE7482128285

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165327
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Neave, D, Howden Explored, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03328/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].