CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1083392
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083392.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:33:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Boynton
National Grid Reference:
TA 13660 67975

Details

TA 16 NW BOYNTON MAIN STREET (east side) 10/31 Church of St Andrew 30.6.66 - I

Church, West tower C15, remainder 1768-70, possibly by John Carr. Ashlar tower, otherwise brick with stone dressings, tiled roof. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, west tower. Nave has stone plinth and quoins, pointed windows with intersecting glazing bars in stone surrounds. Dentilled brick eaves cornice, coped gable. Lower 2-bay chancel has pointed windows with intersecting lead glazing bars in stone surrounds. C20 priest's door with pointed fanlight glazed with intersecting bars all in a plain stone surround. Dentilled brick eaves cornice, hipped roof. East window has Geometrical tracery, probably re-used. West tower has 3 stages with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, and string courses. West window of 2 lights with perpendicular tracery, altered to accommodate double west door with Gothick panelling. South wall has large sculpted figure of St Andrew in canopied niche. 2-light belfry opening with Perpendicular tracery under hood-mould, battlemented parapet with C18 pinnacles. Interior has double chancel screen of 4 tapering quatrefoil columns and responds, with Gothick capitals, supporting entablature with triglyph frieze with linked circles to metopes. Nave has dado with raised and fielded panels, repeated on C19 pew ends. Family pew under tower arch: dog-leg stair with cut string, turned balusters, and ramped handrail, to balcony with turned balusters, cornice, handrail, and door with raised and fielded panels and original fastener. Balcony supported on 2 stone quatrefoil columns and 2 timber quatrefoil pilasters, all with Gothick capitals. Moulded cornice and coved ceiling to nave, moulded cornice to chancel. Moulded plaster panels to soffit of tower arch; dado, moulded cornice, and domical vault with Gothick ribbing to chamber behind family pew. Late C12 tub font with intersecting round-headed arcading, reset on brick. Family monuments in chancel: to left of east window, to William Strickland, 1663. Moulded plinth on corbels, enriched with acanthus, supporting raised bases of Corinthian colonnettes. Broken pediment with putti and hatchment. Plaster decoration of swags and ribands, acanthus enriched surround to inscription tablet. To right of east window: Elizabeth Strickland, 1674. Moulded plinth, supported by putti, carrying raised bases of Corinthian colonnettes under broken pediment with putti and hatchment. Plaster decoration of festoons, flags, and armour. Laurel enriched surround to inscription panel. To north wall, monument to Sir William Strickland, 1733. Marble. Chest with Greek key fieze and skull motif, under fluted sarcophagus with portrait medallion. Blank inscription panel crowned by broken pediment, with blank hatchment and turkey, set against large obelisk. To south wall, monument to Sir William Strickland, 1767. Hollow-chamfered base to sarcophagus with fluted cabriole legs. Inscription on black marble obelisk with white marble volutes. East window contains painted glass, dated 1768, by Peckitt of York.

Listing NGR: TA1365967974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166804
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/08062/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].