CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1083422
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CATWICK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083422.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:27:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CATWICK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Riston
National Grid Reference:
TA 12330 42725

Details

RISTON CATWICK LANE TA 14 SW (west side, off) Long Riston 2/29 Church of St Margaret 16.12.66 GV II* Church. C13 origins with C14 tower, C17 buttresses to south side, nave and chancel heavily restored in 1855, tower repaired in 1881. Coursed pebbles with pinkish-red brick infill, ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. 2-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, lower and narrower single- bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: diagonal buttresses with offsets. West side has 2-light pointed window with reticulated tracery to head. Second stage has 2-light pointed reticulated traceried belfry openings to each side. Eaves string course with gargoyles. Low parapet with pinnacles. Nave: buttesses with offsets between bays. South porch to first bay has angle buttresses with offsets. Moulded, pointed-arched door. Stone coped gable with ridge cross. Within a pointed plank studded door in chamfered surround. Otherwise nave has 2-light, straight-headed windows with Perpendicular-type tracery in double-chamfered surrounds throughout. Ashlar copings to gables. Chancel: angle buttresses with offsets. South side has central priest's entrance, a pointed plank studded door in moulded surround. To left a 2-light, straight-headed window with Perpendicular-type tracery in double-chamfered surround. North side: vestry has Caernarvon-arched entrance with studded plank door. East side of vestry has 2-trefoiled-light window. Chancel east end has 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular-type tracery in double-chamfered surround. Ashlar gable copings. Interior: 4- centred tower arch with double-chamfered head. Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded responds. C19 octagonal font with traceried decoration on octagonal shaft. Kelly's Directory of the North East Riding of Yorkshire, 1929, p 613. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 307.

Listing NGR: TA1233042725

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166705
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 307
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1929)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08434/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].