Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083482.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:04:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 36730 23349


HOLMPTON SCHOOL LANE TA 32 SE (north side, off) 8/18 Church of St Nicholas GV II

Parish church. 1874, encasing earlier shell to nave and chancel. Repaired 1901. Cobbles encased in yellow brick with red brick and ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. West tower with west door, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel with 2-bay vestry adjoining north side. Chamfered brick plinth. 4-stage tower has recessed double doors in pointed chamfered arch with ashlar hoodmould, north and south lancets to first stage; west lancet to second stage, lancets with wooden louvres and blind Y-traceried panels to belfry, blind north and south lancets and west clockface to top stage; 2-course brick band, stone-coped embattled parapet. Twin lancets to nave; single lancet to chancel, stepped triple east lancet with pierced trefoil above. Pointed door, lancets to vestry. Ashlar hoodmoulds, flush red brick sill and impost bands throughout; flush red brick eaves band to nave and chancel. Stone-coped gables with shaped brick kneelers. Interior. Double-chamfered chancel arch with corbelled responds; carved ashlar reredos, cast-iron altar rails. Oval marble wall-tablet to Elizabeth Nockalls of 1767 with moulded surround, scrolled foliate base and urn above. Painted commandment boards. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972. Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 15, 1982, p 55.

Listing NGR: TA3673023349


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 54
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/04395/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].