Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083718.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2021 at 20:53:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 96882 05635


SE 9605-9705 SCAWBY CHURCH STREET (north side, off)

19/81 Church of St Hybald



Parish church. C13-C15 tower; west tower entrance, nave, aisles and chancel of 1842-43 by W A Nicholson, with alterations of 1870s by James Fowler of Louth. 1842-43 rebuilding in C13 style. Tower of squared limestone and rubble with galleted joints, ashlar dressings and parapet; remainder in dressed limestone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower with west entrance, 5-bay aisled nave with 3-bay arcades and south porch, 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: quoins, moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. Tall first stage has inserted pointed shafted door with hood-mould and shafted lancet above, original round-headed single-light west and south windows with monolithic heads, moulded string course. Stepped-in second stage: 4-centred arch 2-light cinquefoiled belfry openings with hood-moulds. Moulded string course with pairs of gargoyles to north and south sides, coped embattled parapet. Chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses and corbel- table to nave, aisles and chancel. Lancets to clerestory; shafted lancets with hood-moulds to aisles; pointed shafted south door and shafted twin east lancet with hood-mould to chancel. Porch: pointed chamfered outer arch with hood-mould and headstops, pointed chamfered inner arch. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches with hood-moulds on octagonal piers and keeled responds with engaged shafts and moulded capitals, (bases obscured by flooring). Tower open to nave, with panelled organ-gallery front bearing good C19 painted cast metal coat of arms. Double-chamfered chancel arch of filleted responds with engaged shafts. Shafted east window with hood-mould and headstops. 3-bay single hammer-beam chancel roof; 5-bay king-post nave roof. Monuments. In chancel, south side: wall monument to Richard Nelthorpe and wife Ursula, of c1640, attributed to Marshall workshop, with life-sized busts in round-arched niches above inscription and panel with 6 miniature figures (2 damaged) of mourning children holding skulls, flanked by scrolled brackets and columns carrying entablature and carved archievement in ornate strapwork surround; wall tablet to John Nelthorpe, of 1669, (transferred from Church of St James, Clerkenwell) with scrolled bracket and festooned base, inscription flanked by Ionic columns carrying entablature with pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice and scrolled pediment bearing cartouche with arms; to Edward and Richard Nelthorpe, of 1788, by Fisher of York, with obelisk base and inscription in fluted surround with festooned pedestal and draped urn. North side: tablet to Sir Henry Nelthorpe of 1830, by George Earle Jun of Hull, with draped altar, palm fronds, scrolled pediment and arms. Black marble floorslab to Frances Nelthorpe of 1720. Wall tablets in north aisle: to Amaziah Empson, vicar, of 1798, by Fisher of York, with obelisk base, foliate frieze, draped urn and arms; to Elizabeth Moore, of 1797, with good inscription. C19 tablets to south aisle. Four C18 and later hatchments fixed above wall monuments in chancel. Good late C19 wrought-iron altar rails by Mark Horton of Lea. Plain C19 octagonal font on shafted column base. Drawings by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p351-352.

Listing NGR: SE9688205635


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 351-352


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/03044/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Janet Tierney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].