Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1083812

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1966



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 21:27:58.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Burton Agnes

National Grid Reference: TA 10208 63256


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/06/2014

TA 1063-1163 11/11


(Formerly listed under CHURCH LANE (north end))


GV I Church. C11 origins with mid-C12 north arcade, C13 south arcade, north chantry of 1313, C15 clerestory and tower, C18 north side of chancel, otherwise rebuilding of 1840. Magnesian limestone ashlar with brick chancel and concealed roof. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay aisled nave with clerestory, single-bay chancel. Tower: plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. To west side a pointed plank door in triple-chamfered cavetto- and ovolo- moulded surround. Above, a 3-light Perpendicular window with partly re-cut mullions under hoodmould with angel stops, on cavetto-moulded continuous sill band. To second stage a twin-light flat-headed opening under hoodmould, between canopied niches for statues. To third stage are 3- stepped cinquefoil-light bell openings in 4-centred arched surrounds. Eaves band with gargoyles at diagonals, battlements. Entrance to south porch a C19 pointed arch with 3 columnar responds supporting double-chamfered arch under hoodmould. Within, a plank door in chamfered surround under hoodmould. Within again an C18 fielded-panel door. South aisle has chamfered plinth and buttresses with offsets. Re-cut, 2-cinquefoil-light windows within straight headed surrounds. To west end of aisle a C19 quatrefoil window and to east end a 3-light pointed window with intersecting tracery under hoodmould. North aisle has buttresses with offsets. Entrance to second bay a pointed plank door within chamfered surround. To first bay a late C20 boiler house. Otherwise a Cl9 2-light window with reticulated- type tracery. Third bay has a large, blocked pointed-arched opening. West end of north aisle has 2-light reticulated window with quatrefoil to head under hoodmould. East end of north aisle has 3-light window with intersecting tracery to head in double-chamfered surround, under hoodmould. Clerestory has 3-trefoiled-light, straight-headed windows. Gargoyles. Battlements. Chancel. Buttresses with offsets. South side has central priests' door within pointed surround under hoodmould. Ogeed lancet windows throughout under hoodmoulds. 3-light east window has reticulated-type tracery to head under hoodmould. Interior. Triple-chamfered tower arch on rounded responds with moulded bases and capitals decorated with beasts and foliage. Nave. 3-bay C19 south arcade on alternate cylindrical and octagonal piers with double-chamfered pointed arches. North arcade: 2 westernmost bays on cylindrical piers with re-cut scallop capitals and moulded bases, pointed chamfered arches. The easternmost bay is C18 and has semicircular arch with an affixed framed wooden arch with fluted pilasters, frieze and cornice containing Boynton family pew. Re-cut piers with scallop capitals support double-chamfered pointed chancel arch, the inner order is chamfered, the outer is roll-moulded, with hoodmould with incised chevron moulding. Chancel has ogeed piscina. C19 hammer-beam roof with angel stops. Drum-shaped Norman font with tall thin blank arcading, re-tooled. Woodwork: pulpit of c1700. Early C18 box pews. Remains of Perpendicular traceried screen to rear of south aisle. Monuments. To south aisle a segmentally-arched niche for a statue. Neo-classical wall monument to Thomas Dade, d 1759. North aisle. Pointed-arched, triple-chamfered tomb recess with tomb chest decorated with quatrefoils to Roger de Somerville, d 1337, and his wife Maud, d 1317. Late C15 alabaster tomb chest decorated with figures of saints with reclining figures of Sir Walter Griffith, d 1481 and his wife Jane Nevill. Elaborate marble wall monument to Sir Henry Griffith, d 1645, and his 2 wives, with 3 effigies replaced by 3 black coffins, columns and curtains to sides and base decorated with death's heads, cartouche above. Wall monument to Sir Henry Griffith, d 1620, and wife Elizabeth. 2 painted hatchments. Chancel has Baroque wall monument to Sir Griffith Boynton, d 1761. Neo-classical wall monument to Sir Griffith Boynton, d 1778. To Anne Cayley, d 1769, by the Fishers of York. Stained glass. In the north aisle east window kneeling C18 figures of Sir Roger de Somerville and wife Maude. East window and other chancel glass by Wailes. In south aisle glass by Kempe. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, pp 206-7.

Listing NGR: TA1020463257


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 167767

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 206-7

End of official listing