Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083851.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:05:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 15652 58854


BARMSTON SANDS LANE TA 15 NE (south side, off) 8/3 Church of All Saints 30.6.66 I

Church. C12 and C15 with later additions and alterations. Rubble with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. 2-stage south-west tower, 3-bay nave with 2-bay south aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel. Tower: quoins, 2- light pointed Perpendicular window to west under cavetto-moulded hood with label stops. Moulded first stage band. Perpendicular 2-light bell- openings, band, pierced battlements. Entrance to south porch has 2 orders of cavetto moulding under cavetto-moulded hood. Remains of cross at apex. Within, a studded board door within Caenarvon arch. South aisle has blocked round-arched opening under cavetto-moulded hood with label stops. 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery to head within double-chamfered surround. Similar window to east end of aisle. Nave. West end has 3- light, pointed Perpendicular window within double-chamfered surround under cavetto-moulded hood with label stops. North side has entrance with ogee- arched, cavetto-moulded surround under cavetto-moulded hood with label stops, now blocked. 3-light pointed Perpendicular window in double-hollow- chamfered surround. Cornice. Low moulded parapet. Chancel. South side has C19 pointed priest's entrance with 4-panel door, quoined jambs and cavetto-moulded hood with label stops, small inserted single-light window to left. Otherwise 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular window in double- hollow-chamfered surround, with hollow-chamfered hood with label stops. To east end a 3-light pointed Perpendicular window with recut mullions and partly recut double-hollow-chamfered surround beneath hollow-chamfered hoodmould with label stops. Cross at apex. Interior. Pointed double- hollow-chamfered tower arch. 2-bay south arcade has double-hollow-chamfered round arches on square piers with hollow-chamfered diagonals and moulded capitals. Similar chancel arch. Norman tub font with lozenge decoration. C19 sedilia and piscina. Monuments: probably late C17 wall monument in early C18 surround to Dorothea Boynton, d 1680, and Henry Boynton, d 1719. Alabaster knight on tomb-chest against which stand six angels each holding a shield, probably to William Moneaux of Barmston d 1446. To porch a hogback and remains of pre-Viking age cross. Fragments of medieval glass in south aisle, otherwise late C19 and C20. To exterior of south side of chancel are 2 probably early C18 wall tablets, one to member of Dumbleton family, d 1711. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding , 1978, pp 166-7.

Listing NGR: TA1564958853


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 166-7


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10808/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].