CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1084136
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1084136.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 14:25:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Londesborough
National Grid Reference:
SE 86861 45384

Details

LONDESBOROUGH LOW STREET SE 84 NE (south side) 16/26 Church of All Saints 26.1.67 - I

Church. Early C12 nave, early C14 west tower (raised in late C15), north aisle, and chancel chapel; porch of 1678. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings, slate roofs. West tower of 3 stages, 4-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel with north chapel. West tower: projecting stair-turret to south-west quoin. First and second stages lit by lancets with continuous chamfer. Chamfered string below square-headed 2-light belfry opening under crenellated parapet with corner finials. Nave: pointed windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights under hoodmould to west and to centre, round-headed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould to east. South door of one order originally with nook-shafts (now missing) to scallop capitals supporting lintel and tympanum with sundial beneath hollow moulding. Cll interlace cross-shaft inserted over. Porch: moulded capitals to round, moulded, arch: shaped kneelers, coped gable with finial. Chancel: diagonal buttress with offsets. Two 2-light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery under hoodmoulds flanking round-headed priests' door with quirk and hollow chamfer imposts and shallow hoodmould. Chamfered string over. Five-light 4-centred east window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould. Interior: shouldered arch to tower stair: shouldered rear- arches to lancets. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch with the inner order carried on corbels. North arcade: cylindrical piers on raised waterholding bases (dogtooth to centre pier) supporting moulded capitals (with nailhead to east, incised chevrons with nailhead to west) and pointed double- chamfered arches. Pulpit of 1719 with bolection-moulded panelling. Elaborate timber screen by Temple Moore beneath elliptical double-chamfered chancel arch. North chancel chapel arcade: octagonal pier and filleted responds carrying 2 pointed double-chamfered arches under hoodmoulds. The north chapel contains a number of memorials to the family of the Earls of Burlington: in particular a brass to Richard Boyle, the architect, died 1753. (This and the neighbouring brasses may have been removed from the coffins which lie in the family vault beneath the chancel). Memorial with white marble inscription set into black marble slab on white marble urns, with bosses, to Lady Grisold, Countess of Cumberland, died 1613. (Her age at death left blank). Wall tablet above to Francis the son of Henry Lord Clifford: small effigy of a child in swaddling clothes under a laurel wreath and the inscription: FRANCISCUS HENRICI DOM: CLIFF PRIMO - GENITUS HEU VIXIT HORAS 6 AD 1619

Foliated cross grave slab against north wall; 3 late C17 funeral banners (and the remnants of a fourth) suspended above. Gauntlets hang to right and to left of the east window; the helmets which once accompanied them are now kept in the Rectory. Early C13 scalloped font on 6 dwarf colonettes with annuli. An interesting feature of this church is the large number of graffiti, dating from the early C18 on, to be found around the south door of the porch.

Listing NGR: SE8686345384

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167044
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05034/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Pierce. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].