Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085676.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jan-2021 at 23:39:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Canterbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 10072 55087



The Deanery TR 1055 29/227 30.1.67.


2. Interior features of early C14 and late C14 but exterior C18. The north-west front is dated 1745. Two storeys red brick. Tiled roof in three hips. Parapet. Stringcourse. Seven sashes with glazing bars intact. Doorcase with moulded architrave surround with flat hood over and door of six fielded panels. Rainwater head inscribed "1745 L ". Modern bay of 3 windows on the ground floor. Modern AE additions to the north-east. Of the south-east front, the centre portion, which is of one storey only, is contemporary. It has 2 Venetian windows and between them, a wide porch with coupled fluted columns, and a doorcase containing double doors of six moulded panels. On each side is a modern gabled portion of two storeys and attics in the place of the original projecting wings which were demolished in the early C20. The interior contains the roof and three walls of the Great Hall built by Prior Henry of Eastry in 1303. The roof form is of paired rafters with two collars, the lower one being supported by raking struts. Two crownposts of the solar built by Prior Chillenden in 1394 remain. Frescos survive at the east end of the hall. There are also a Jacobean fireplace with carved and panelled overmantel, an C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each step and C18 Adam style marble fireplace and panelled doors. This was before the reformation a country residence of the Priors of Christ Church Priory Canterbury. After the Reformation the Deans of Canterbury used it as a country residence. In C17 it was sold to a Leghorn merchant Anthony Lefroy.

Listing NGR: TR1007255087


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09911/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].