ST JOHN'S JERUSALEM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1085776
Date first listed:
01-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S JERUSALEM, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JOHN'S JERUSALEM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085776.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 02:15:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S JERUSALEM, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dartford (District Authority)
Parish:
Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley
National Grid Reference:
TQ 55888 70353

Details

1. 5274 SUTTON-AT-HONE MAIN ROAD (east side)

St John's Jerusalem TQ 57 SE 4/81 1.8.52

II* GV

2. A preceptory of the order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem was founded here in 1199 by Robert de Basing. The main portion of the building dates from the C13 and was the Chapel of the Preceptory, but it was much altered by Edward Hasted, the County Historian in 1755-6. Two storeys and attics. The east end is faced with flints and has 2 lancet windows at first floor level which light the chapel. To the west of these is a buttress of flints and stone, then a blocked pointed mediaeval stone doorway and then another lancet. Double piscina inside. The remainder of the original building to the west has been refaced with red brick in the C18. This has 4 windows, with wide glazing bars intact, on ground and first floors are stone lancet windows and a doorcase with Gibbs surround and pediment over. Above the whole of the original portion are 4 pedimented dormers which were added in the C19. Tiled roof. To the west of the original building is a late C18 addition of higher elevation erected on the foundation of a C13 tower. This is stuccoed and has long and short quoins at its west end, a wooden modillion eaves cornice, one window and a pedimented dormer. To the north-east is an L-wing in buff brick added in the C19. The interior contains a C17 kitchen with inglenook, main staircase of circa 1755 with turned balusters, a drawing room with C18 panelling and dado rail and Mrs Hasted's boudoir circa 1755 with fireplace, panelling, Greek key patterned dado rail and swag ornaments to window wall. Abraham Hill (1635-1726) a founder member of the Royal Society lived here from 1667 to 1721 and Edward Hasted, the Historian of Greek, from 1757 to 1776.

Listing NGR: TQ5589670372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172717
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].