This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1085810



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dartford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 172702

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ 57 SE 4/68 1.6.67 Church of St Mary


2. C13, C14, C15, C16 and C19. The Bishops of Rochester had a manor at Stone and the church was in their patronage. Built of flint with stone dressings, patched with brick in places, and tiled roof. Chancel with north chapel, now the vestry, nave with lean-to aisles and west tower, the aisles continued to the north and south of the tower to end flush with its west wall. Late C13 interior with 3 bay nave and rib-vaulted chancel. Late C13 chancel wall arcading - the spandrels of which are identical to similar arcading in Westminster Abbey in the Choir Chapel - which indicates a date of circa 1260 and that Westminster masons built the church at Stone. The north aisle has remains of late C13 wall paintings. The west tower is early C14 and there is a Perpendicular north chapel of circa 1527. G E Street restored the church circa 1859-60 and the roof dates from this time. Brass to John Lumbarde died 1408. Small tomb chest to Sir John Wiltshire died 1527. Small hanging monument in west chapel to Robert Chapman died 1574.

Listing NGR: TQ5704675064

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 57641 74810


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 02:06:09.

End of official listing