CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1086165
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THURNHAM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1086165.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:10:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THURNHAM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Maidstone (District Authority)
Parish:
Thurnham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 80409 57642

Details

TQ 85 NW THURNHAM THURNHAM LANE (west side)

6/205 Church of St. Mary the 26.4.68 Virgin

GV I

Parish church. C12 to early C17. North chapel of galleted stone, porches of small uneven blocks of stone, rest random flint and stone. Plain tile roofs. West tower, continuous nave and chancel with opposed north and south porches at west end.Rectangular north chapel towards east end of nave. Battlemented C14 tower of 2 stages, upper stage possibly rebuilt, with angle buttresses. Cusped single-light belfry openings, small Decorated west window and small west door with 2-centred arched head, lightly-moulded jambs and hood-mould. South porch: early C15, on plinth. Earlier inner door with 2-centred arched head and moulded jambs. South wall of nave and chancel contains 2 restored early Perpendicular windows with hood-moulds towards west end, one restored lancet and one cusped 2-light window with no central light, set in architrave with angled head. Slight trace of straight-joint immediately east of lancet; section to west C12 or C13, section to east C14. East end has clasping buttresses and large restored decorated east window under hood- moulds stopped with carved heads. North chapel: circa 1603. Rectangular on high stone plinth with small hipped roof behind battlemented parapet. East wall has large rectangular window of 4 plain round-headed lights under hood-mould. Smaller 3- light window in same style in north wall, with restored blocked 3-centred arched doorway with rectangular hood-mould to west. Small projecting stone stack at junction of west wall and nave. North wall of nave has single restored early Perpendicular window. North porch: similar to south porch, but with original roof. Interior: Blocked round-headed Norman window in west end of north wall. C14 tower arch. Single C15 round-headed arch to north chapel, withmoulded capitals to piers, 3 possibly C14 crown- post trusses to nave with moulded tie-beams and crown-posts Chancel roof with collar purlin but no crown-posts. Chapel roof early C17 with moulded beam and joists. 2 very small stone fragments in south wall of chancel, one containing top of a small decorative shaft. Moulded corbels in north and south walls, possibly for rood loft.Aumbry. Piscina with shaped stone basin. 2-centred arched sedile with filletted roll-moulding. Elaborately carved reredos in memory of Mrs. Julia Jane Hampson, d. 1904. wife of the Rev. William Seymour Hampson, made in Oberammergau. Late C18 or early C19 pews. Octagonal font, possibly C14, decorated with 8 different emblems. Monuments: 2 small brasses in Chapel floor; one to William Covert, one to Lady Barbara Cutt, d. 1618, who founded the chapel in honour of Sir Henry Cutt, knight, her first husband. On west wall of chapel, momument with open pediment and fluted pilasters with shield to base, to memory of Richard Sheldon Esq., d. 1736. Monument on south wall of chancel in form of parchment hung with drapes and surmounted by shield and gadrooned vase to memory of Mariae Dering, d. 1725. On north wall of chancel, monument with broken pediment containing plain urn, to memory of Thomas Wise, d. 1790 and other members of the family. Similar monument adjacent,to Thomas Burwash, d. 1791, and members of Wise family.

Listing NGR: TQ8023257319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
173712
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07495/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Royall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].